Saturday, March 1, 2014

New Project on Ursula Bethell

Researching the creative work of Ursula Bethell, Christchurch poet primarily but who was also an avid painter and gardener. She lived a varied and amazing life of social work, literary support and mentor to many emerging writers and also had a deep faith in God…The majority of her life was spent living with her companion Effie Pollen. When Effie died in 1934, Ursula Bethell was devastated, writing a "Memorial" every year for the next six years on or around the anniversary. October 1935 The green has come back, the spring green, the new green, Darling, the young green upon the field willows, And the gorse on the wild hills was never so yellow, Together, together, past years we have looked on the scene. The loved little bird is singing his small song, Dearest, and whether the trill of the riro Reminded, we wondered, of joy or of sorrow - Now I am taught it is tears, it is tears that to spring time belong. You were laughter, my liking, and frolic, my lost one, I must dissemble and smile still for your sake, Now that I know how spring time is heart-break, Now you have left me to look upon all that is lovely, alone.

No comments: